DISCLAIMER: PLEASE CONSULT A LICENSED PLUMBING PROFESSIONAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY WORK ON YOUR HOME PLUMBING SYSTEM.
If your Flo by Moen device is not registering water flow on your app, here are some steps to take to verify that the internal flow sensor is properly functioning.
The Flo by Moen device uses a turbine system that sends a signal to an internal sensor to read and calculate your homes water usage. In the event that there may be debris from the installation or other repairs performed on the homes plumbing system, you may have to remove the device to clear any foreign objects affecting the readings from the internal flow sensor.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Remove the Flo by Moen device, but first verify that your main water supply is turned off and that water is drained from the home.
Tip: Open as many fixtures to drain the water from the plumbing system.
2. Using a wrench, loosen the 2 black polymer union nuts that secure your Flo by Moen device to your home’s plumbing system.
Tip: To loosen turn polymer union nuts counter-clockwise.
3. Carefully remove the Flo by Moen device and inspect the inner valve body and turbine for any debris or contaminants.
4. Clean out any debris and blow into the turbine housing to verify that the turbine is spinning freely.
5. Re-install the Flo by Moen device and make sure that the 2 o-rings are properly seated before securing the connection to the plumbing line.
6. Verify that the orientation of the Flo by Moen device is in the correct position.
Tip: There are arrows marked on the device indicating the direction of the water flow to your home fixtures.
7. DO NOT over-tighten the black polymer union nuts when re-installing. Simply hand-tighten and use a 1/4 turn with your wrench to secure the device.
8. Gradually open your main shut off valve allowing water to gradually run through your Flo by Moen device and plumbing system.
9. Verify that the flow rates are being registered on your Flo by Moen app through the Control Panel.
This video explains the proper way to inspect and clean the flow sensor for any signs of debris. For well systems with metallic particles, please refer to this article for more information.