DISCLAIMER: PLEASE CONSULT A LICENSED PLUMBING PROFESSIONAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY WORK ON YOUR HOME PLUMBING SYSTEM.
If your Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff is not registering water flow / usage on your app, here are some steps to take to verify that the internal flow sensor is properly functioning.
The Smart Water Shutoff uses a turbine system that sends a signal to an internal sensor to read and calculate your homes water usage. In the event that there may be debris from the installation or other repairs performed on the homes plumbing system, you may have to remove the Smart Water Shutoff to clear any foreign objects affecting the readings from the internal flow sensor.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Remove the Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff, but first verify that your main water supply is turned off and that water is drained from the home.
Tip: Open as many fixtures to drain the water from the plumbing system.
2. Using a wrench, loosen the 2 black polymer union nuts that secure the Smart Water Shutoff to your home’s plumbing system.
Tip: To loosen turn polymer union nuts counter-clockwise.
3. Carefully remove the Smart Water Shutoff from the line. Pull out the turbine and inspect for any discoloration or debris.
4. Clean out any debris and blow into the turbine housing to verify that the turbine is spinning freely.
5. Re-install the Smart Water Shutoff and make sure that the 2 o-rings are properly seated before securing the connection to the plumbing line.
6. Verify that the orientation of the Smart Water Shutoff is in the correct position.
Tip: There are arrows marked on the device indicating the direction of the water flow to your home fixtures.
7. DO NOT over-tighten the black polymer union nuts when re-installing. Simply hand-tighten and use a 1/4 turn with your wrench to secure the device.
8. Gradually open your main shut off valve allowing water to gradually run through yourSmart Water Shutoff and plumbing system.
9. Verify that the flow rates are being registered on your Flo by Moen app through the Control Panel.
This video explains the proper way to inspect and clean the flow sensor for any signs of debris. For well systems with metallic particles, please refer to this article for more information.
Please contact Flo Support if you need assistance.